4.30.2012

Letter to Self

Just a little background info: the final assignment for my Women's Literature course was to write a letter that utilized the texts we had read as inspiration. I decided to take the take the assignment a step further and really spend some time reflecting on how I've changed in my encounters with "difference." So this is a little more about feminism, a little less about my queerness, but still relevant. (I think.) Enjoy.



To Alexis, Eighteen Years Old:
     Remember when we read Their Eyes Were Watching God in AP Literature and Composition? I recall hating that book at eighteen. It felt simultaneously too foreign and too familiar to enjoy. Zora Neale Hurston’s writing pushed against everything we’d been taught was “good writing.” At the time, at your time, books like The Great Gatsby and Catcher in the Rye seemed to fit the bill, but Their Eyes Were Watching God was just strange; the heavy dialect, the sexualized protagonist, and the fuzzy plot structure were too unfamiliar to my unaccustomed mind. On the other hand, don’t you notice something uncanny about Hurston’s writing? Something that just makes perfect sense?
     That feeling is what I want I want to write to you about. I haven’t stopped pursuing that elusive secret buried in texts written by authors who are a little “different” than the usual run. The secret is frightening, which is probably why I – why you – chose not to uncover it at eighteen. The secret is this: you see yourself in these texts. You see the self is that absent in almost every other book you’ve been forced to read your entire life. You see your mother, your grandmother, and your dead babuta – all of whom share little in common with Daisy Miller, but quite a bit with Janie Crawford. This is not to say you should stop loving all of your favorite books, just that your views about everything will widen considerably in the next few years; I like to think that I’ve come dangerously close to understanding that ethereal feeling.
     This year has been an exciting one for me. I just finished my classes for the semester, all of which have changed me considerably. I’m about to embark on an exciting, terrifying journey – the road to an academic career that consists of an odd mixture of English, comic books, queerness, gender, race, education, history, nationality, religion, language, folk tales, and performance. I’m at an authoritative place where I feel comfortable writing to you without feeling phony, as Holden Caulfield would put it. I want to reflect on the course of my life, where I’m coming from, what I have to offer to the world. I want to show you how you will turn the things you love, the things that scare you more than anything else into the world and transform them into something insightful, uplifting, and productive, both for yourself and the people around you. I want to show you how that feeling has dogged your writing since the very beginning, and how coming to terms with the world is also coming to terms with the self.
     Remember when we had to write a letter in the eighth grade as the person we thought we’d become in the future? I lost the letter, but I remember it was pretty bleak: a failed writing career, estrangement, general unhappiness. Why, at twelve, did we think this was to be our fate? Looking back, I suspect part of the despair came from the fact that we’d never known of any successful female authors. I think the first exposure would come years later – a Virginia Woolf story about a parrot. And, what’s more, all of the women in my life were broken, battered, and alone, so the lack of confidence isn’t really all that surprising, if you think about it. Who would have told us it was possible? That we could follow our dreams, if we were willing to fight tooth-and-nail for it?
     I took a Women’s Literature course this semester. (Yes, I am a feminist. I also stopped shaving my legs and armpits, so maybe even a radical feminist, if such a thing exists.) I’ve been introduced to a multitude of women’s writing at this point, so I wasn’t expecting to be that astonished. I was wrong. The sheer volume of material – from different times, different perspectives – was, I’m embarrassed to say, shocking. I had thought for so long that women, that people in the margins, just didn’t make art. I suppose part of me still held on to these (hetero)sexist, racist, classist notions which have told us “NO” all our lives. Reading Summer, I could see our poor mother, falling again and again for the comforting bullshit fed to her by the men who flitted just as quickly in as out of her life. I felt a lot like her, wanting to believe that everything I’d been told, all the forces controlling my life, were not just some collection of benevolent lies with all the best intentions and absolutely no substance. I wanted to believe that I wasn’t collateral in some larger cultural war.
     The more I read, the more I realized maybe it wasn’t quite that simple (the ambivalent interactions between the female subject and culture of both Sula and Jasmine being the perfect example of this complexity), but something was still very wrong here. Why hadn’t I read about my own experiences, and the related experiences of women from different positionalities, sooner? Why had I been denied the solace and validation of reading something that made me feel less alone? Realizing this was not easy; my life suddenly existed in a whole new context. I understood that I have long hated being born a girl, that I have hated my mother for not doing more, and that I have hated my father for creating the volatile environment of our home in the first place. Although (I am happy to say) I don’t feel like this anymore, I know this internalized hatred of difference has had a profound effect on my life, namely how I perceived myself and the objects and people around me. I can’t help but question: what if I had read Sylvia Plath’s “Daddy” sooner? I might have been spared years of guilt, depression, and self-harm just by knowing I wasn’t crazy.
     You might be wondering why I wrote this letter specifically to the eighteen year old incarnation of myself. I promise you this is not yet another comforting, narcissistic illusion. I know what you are going through. I know that you are being abused, that you have lost forty pounds, and that you are friendless and alone. I know that you have struggled with your sexuality, your gender, your destitution, your family, and your body. I am writing to tell you not to ignore what you recognize, both in yourself and what you read. I am writing to remember that these are not just stories to me; there is something lurking under the surface. Nothing is what it seems. Introspection is vital. You will find the strength to confront the abyss.

-Alexis, Age Twenty-One

No comments:

Post a Comment