3.27.2012

‎"Is coming out as bisexual easier than coming out as homosexual?"

I kid you not -- that was a question on C's "Sexual Identity Across the Lifespan" exam. And I kind of went into a frenzy over Facebook on her status when I found out.

First of all, the question was NOT open-response -- no essay, no paragraph crammed into a too-small space. It was multiple choice. I mean, how can someone predetermine right and wrong answers to such an incredibly subjective question? Did you not think that this question was subjective?

Oh, but let's look at the options C's class was given ... As well as C could recall: (A) Yes, because their parents have hope that they may become straight. (B) Yes, because of reactions and stereotypes. (C) No, because their parents have hope that they may still become straight. (D) No, because of reactions and stereotypes.

I have a few discrepancies with these answers.

  1. This professor provided only two characteristic challenges that can be faced by any LGBTQIA person and simply used them to agree or disagree with her question.
  2. These answers are incredibly simplistic and limiting.
    • "... because their parents hope that they may become straight." Well, what about the parents who are accepting of their sons and daughters and can respect what their children identify as?
    • " ... because of reactions and stereotypes." Oh, really? Tell us more! What kind of reactions? Which stereotypes? Why is this so vague? Did you not want to offend any of your students with the reality of their society?
    • Were you incapable of thinking of anything else that is a challenge in "coming out"?
This question is already offensive in and of itself -- these inaccurate choices elevate the question to a stratospheric level of insult. C brought it to the professor's attention that this question was too subjective to answer -- especially with such invalid answers -- and I am very proud of C for doing so. The professor responded by explaining that other students had said similar things and that the question would probably not be counted.

I can't say that I would have reacted as C had. In the moment, I probably would have. But after internally raging for a few moments, I might have added a fifth option -- my explanation for both why I could not answer the question and why this ridiculous question and its ridiculous answers should not be on the exam in the first place. Then, maybe I'd hand it in with a smile. "I think I really nailed this test, professor. I was stuck on question eight for a while, but I'm feeling good about my answer."

No comments:

Post a Comment